Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Kolkata market fire: Breadwinners snatched away

Raju, Rubina and Sonu do not know each other, but the fire that engulfed the five storey Surya Sen Market here leaving 19 dead on Wednesday has strung them together in their misfortune of having a breadwinner snatched away.

A 15-year-old boy, Raju, whose migrant labourer father Rajnish, who slept in the shop at nights after a hard day's work, was s

tanding beside the gate crying inconsolably.
"Please bring back my father, I don't know where he is," he wept.

A 30-year-old woman, Rubina said that her husband, Ismail, a daily labourer in the market and her family were to leave for a wedding at home next month for which they had saved up.
"We were about to leave for our village for my sister-in-law's wedding next month. We don't know what will happen now," she sobbed.
A 10-year-old boy, Sonu along with his uncle was looking for his father and grand father, who had a grocery shop in the market.
"I am searching for my father Ratan Lal and my grand father. Both of them had stayed back in the shop last night. Please help me find them," he entreated his eyes welling with tears.

According to Fire Services minister Javed Khan, most of the bodies of the 19 victims were charred beyond recognition.
JEEUTIKA SINHA
PGDM 1st sem

No comments:

Post a Comment